Road America Main Entrance Tunnel
Elkhart Lake, WI back to portfolio
Road America is viewed as a premier road racing course in the USA, as well as the world. The facility hosts racing events from mid-April through October. The four-mile track includes 14 turns with continuous elevation changes.
In an effort to improve track safety and accessibility, Road America entrusted McMahon, Inc. to design and construct a new 165-foot long tunnel under the race track to serve as the main entrance for race teams, spectators and Road America personnel.
- Engineer-led, design/build project
- Removal of existing bridge/tunnel
- Pre-Cast Tunnel Sections (less affected by weather; reduced cure time; fast erection)
- 165-ft long x 36 ft. wide
- Minimum clearance height of 16’-8”
- 2 – 12’ driving lanes, 2 – 6’ sidewalks
- Over 1,000 ft. of gravity storm sewer for drainage (25’ deep)
- Short, 4-month construction period – all during winter months
- Alignment of tunnel with existing roadways and grades
- Winter conditions necessitated protection of backfill and concrete to prevent freezing
- Large sign addition, after construction of tunnel was complete
Tom Kocken, Jeff Kellner